BARCELONA, for the books and for the sun!

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Count Down!

Finally, finally, FINALLY, the Spanish consulate (of SF) called me about my visa status. My visa (and my passport, thank you very much) will be mailed tomorrow so I should get them on Wednesday. Yeah, getting them two days before my flight. Such a nightmare. I'm surprised I haven't got a heart attack yet. (Advice to future MBA applicants: unless you are absolutely determined to go overseas, just stay in the States. It will make your lives MUCH easier.)

I just dropped off a few boxes at the post office, sending them mainly via surface. The post office employees all know me by now, after my frequent last-minute application mailing, deposit sending, and package sending runs. Now all I hope is that the packages arrive safe and sound (wah, sounds like I'm talking about a person) in Spain.

After playing Kingdom Hearts 2 and Final Fantasy X at a friend's place for about a week, I'm so tempted in getting a PS2 station in Barcelona. But knowing me, ha, that is definitely not one of the best ideas. I already mailed myself enough books to keep me busy alongside with my classes. My sis will be mailing me the newest SWD game which will definitely be able to entertain me for quite a while. Wait, I know, maybe I should find a Spanish RPG PC game which can achieve two purposes: improve my Spanish and fulfill my need for entertainment. Me a genius.

Now looking back at the past 6 months (my pre-pre-MBA months) I learned quite a bit. The application process was a journey of self discovery itself. But I think what really changed me was the interview I had with a school in Ireland. After that interview and after a series of serious discussions w/ my father, I am finding myself gravitating towards a field/place that I have been resisting for all these years. I have been ignoring my greatest advantage which was pointed out by all of my admissions interviewers. But now especially after the Ireland interview, I realized that if I use this advantage wisely, I may be able to reach where I want to be. I have been spending the last two months trying to overcome this personal (and strong) resistance and starting to prepare myself for the "real world". It's a somber reminder that things don't go always as planned and there will be sacrifices that need to be made.

Just cinco dias left before going to Spain. Other than actually getting my visa (and my passport back) and packing, still one more thing to do. I better resume my Spanish studying. Yeah, I think I got too much faith in my last-minute studying ability. Although my MBA classes don't officially start until October, I'll have a month of pre-MBA: Spanish language classes and two prep courses in accounting and quantitative methods.

Okay, back to Rosetta Stone's Spanish course. And keeping my fingers crossed for my visa.

1 Comments:

  • At 23 August, 2006 06:29 , Blogger Venturello said...

    Hi Susan, happy that everything with your Visa turned out well, congratulations! Don't know about your comment about staying in the US... there are many advantages about going overseas for the MBA... and the pain caused by the spanish visa process... is also given by the US to foreigners going to the US to study. Not that that justifies the beaurocracy and senselessness, but its the way it is. And just ranting, know you already know all of this.

    Anyway, see you at IESE! Best of luck with all the preps for your trip, and the trip itself!

    Juan Miguel Venturello

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home